Wednesday, February 19, 2020

1st Semester 2020 Film Reel


1st Semester Junior Film Reel

When making the film reel, I aimed to make it lighthearted and fun. That's the reason the background music for the duration of the video is upbeat. Of course I also had to choose shots that fit with the music, so most of the shots are either humorous or fun. The switch commercial showed two friends playing games together, so that easily fit with the music. Franklin's Cake is a comedy, so some of those shots worked as well; such as when Franklin throws an orange in the batter. When editing, I only used stable shots with good lighting and white balance. Many shots in Franklin's Cake were poorly white balanced, and some shots in the Switch commercial were poorly lit, so I didn't use those shots. I tried to make sure all my videos were evenly spread across the video, so one part didn't emphasize too much on one video.

In this reel, I wanted to show my main production roles as editor/cinematographer by using good shots, putting them together in a coherent way, and for good measure I put my production roles at the very end of the reel. Looking back on the reel now, I think I used the best clips I could've. Something I would've done differently, however, is the music. It fits the mood I was going for, but it's kind of bland and repetitive. Another mistake was exporting in 1080p instead of 720p. This reel was better than my previous one, but it still doesn't feel complete. Once I film more quality videos, I think I'll be able to add more substance to my film reels because as of now it feels generic.

No comments:

Post a Comment